Provincial Team Programs
Selection of Members for Biathlon BC Squads
Squad members are nominated on the basis of their performances at provincial, national and international competitions. Athletes are selected to the Squads for the term of one season (May 1st – April 1st). Squad athletes are not guaranteed selection for any inter-provincial or international competitions.
An initial list of Squad nominees will be posted on the BiBC website and sent to all clubs by April 30th each year. The final list of all accepted Squad athletes will be confirmed as soon as possible and will be posted on the BiBC website.
The Athlete Development Committee (ADC) may consider Force Majeure or Medical Exemptions in filling positions on the squads. In order to be considered in squad selection, it is the responsibility of the athlete to submit a request for consideration of Force Majeure or Medical Exemption to the ADC by April 15th.
High Performance Squad
The primary objective of the High Performance Squad is to provide support to athletes who have transitioned to Biathlon Canada approved training centres and high-performance clubs.
The primary objective of the Performance Squad is to:
- Provide top performing Development Squad members with additional training opportunities, assessments, and technical support;
- Provide camps alongside post-secondary training centres;
- Provide a smooth transition to post-secondary training centres;
- Develop U19 athletes to be medalists at the national level and be competitive internationally.
The primary objective of the Development Squad is to:
- Prepare athletes to compete at Nationals and to progress to the Performance Squad or a post-secondary training environment;
- Provide an inclusive environment that adheres to True Sport principles.
The primary objective of the Talent Squad is to:
- Prepare athletes to compete at BC Cups and to progress to the Development Squad;
- Provide an inclusive environment that adheres to True Sport Principles;
- Skill development and club coach development.